|Real name:||Arthur Reeves|
|Affiliations:||Salvatore Valestra (formerly)|
|Voiced by:||Hart Bochner|
Arthur Reeves was a Gotham City councilman whose corrupt nature developed even before the start of his career.
Reeves was once an attorney employed as an in-house counsel for Carl Beaumont, who called him a "hotshot". Reeves also became acquainted with Beaumont's daughter, Andrea. When Beaumont had to flee Gotham with his daughter to escape Salvatore Valestra, he turned to Reeves for help. Afterwards, Beaumont kept in touch while he and Andrea lived hidden in Europe.
Years later, Reeves began a political career, campaigning for an alderman position on the Gothan City Council. The cost of his first campaign proved too much for him, and he quickly ran out of funds. Figuring he was doomed to lose unless he found more money, Reeves turned to his old boss Beaumont for a bailout. Carl Beaumont refused, presumably because his own money problems did not grant him a surplus disposable income to be expended on electioneering. Reeves realized he had another card to play: He sold information on Beaumont's whereabouts to Salvatore Valestra, who had been looking for Beaumont for years. In exchange, Valestra gave Reeves inside influence for his forthcoming aldermanic position, as well as the financial boost to ensure his electoral victory. Reeves did not seem to be haunted by betraying his former mentor, and likely rationalized that since Beaumont owed money to Valestra, the time had come for him to pay up. Reeves may or may not have realized the extent of his betrayal, as the Valestra syndicate wanted Carl Beaumont to repay them in blood, not cash, sending Valestra's top hitman and chauffeur to assassinate Beaumont.
Ten years after her father's death, Andrea returned to the city as the mysterious Phantasm and began killing the members of the syndicate one by one. When Chuckie Sol's death was blamed on Batman, Reeves quickly went public with denunciations of the vigilante, and lobbied for the creation of a special police task force to bring him in. In the process, Reeves reunited with Andrea to help her adapt to her old home. They began a budding relationship of sorts, with Andrea unaware of Reeves's role in her father's death.
After Buzz Bronski was killed, Valestra picked up Reeves and demanded to know why Batman was targeting them. Reeves cut the meeting short, feeling that he no longer needed Valestra, who was elderly and in failing health, assuming that the mobster's fate was already sealed. In the face of Reeves' rejection, Valestra turned to the Joker for help, the same hitman Valestra send to kill Beaumont in the past. Instead, his former chauffeur simply killed him and blew up Valestra's penthouse, once again implicating Batman and giving Reeves the perfect reason to order his arrest.
However, Reeves was later confronted by the Joker, who already knew the details of Reeves' secret deal with the mobsters. The Joker had caught a glimpse of the new vigilante, whom he told Reeves was not Batman, and quickly made the connection between Sol, Bronski, and Valestra. His own theory was that Reeves had hired the vigilante to eliminate the witnesses to his sordid past. It seemed to be confirmed when Andrea called his office. Needing no further proof, Joker injected Reeves with a shot of Joker toxin, sending him into uncontrollable hysterics. While at the hospital under sedation, Reeves was paid a visit by Batman, who forced him to confess the truth in front of him; the adrenaline produced in his body reactivated the Joker toxin and caused him to break down again, so the doctors returned to sedate him once more.
- Reeves was voiced by Hart Bochner, whose father, Lloyd Bochner, voiced Gotham City Mayor Hamilton Hill.
- When Reeves is seen effected by Joker venom in the hospital, he bares a slight resemblance to the future Creeper in The New Batman Adventures episode, "Beware the Creeper".
- Reeves appeared in the sequel comic book Batman & Robin Adventures Annual 1 - Shadow of the Phantasm. He recovered from the Joker toxin, but as a side effect his skin had turned yellow and was left a permanent maniacal grin as a scar. After his connection with the Valestra mob had been exposed, his political career was destroyed, making him to regret the fact that the doctors managed to ultimately save his life. This, combined with the lingering effects of the toxin, had driven him insane, plotting revenge on Batman, Phantasm, and Joker. Discovering the Phantasm's true identity as Andrea Beaumont, he chased her across a high balcony, but accidentally fell to his death after Andrea tricked him into charging at her mask and cape.
- Reeves closely resembles Harvey Dent, before his pre-disfiguration in "Two-Face".
- "Beware the Creeper" (Cameo on photograph)