|Static Shock episode|
|Airdate:||February 2, 2002|
|Animation Services by:||Dong Woo Animation Co., LTD.|
|Written by:||Dwayne McDuffie|
|Directed by:||Joe Sichta|
|Episode images (5)|
"Power Play" is the second episode of the second season of Static Shock. It first aired on February 2, 2002.
Richie is caught pretending to be a superhero by Static. Richie gets mad when he is told he can never be one and runs off. In a rundown part of town, Richie bumps into an old man. Helping him up, Richie gets shocked. Behind him, two boys laugh. Then, all three disappear. A runaway truck almost hits a dog, but is stopped by Richie who now has superpowers. Virgil and Richie test out these powers in the scrap yard. Richie almost gets hurt and runs away to find the old man. The man's name is Ragtag and the boy's names are Run and Jump. All three are metahumans. Richie has to go back to Ragtag to get more power. He gives himself the name "Push" and becomes a superhero, leaving Static in the shadows. He realizes that to keep getting power from Ragtag, he'll have to start stealing for him. Richie refuses to do it, and is attacked by Jump and Run. Static saves him, and Richie goes back to being normal. He's okay with being average again.
- Ragtag's origin is revealed in "Attack of the Living Brain Puppets".
- Richie's full name, Richard Osgood Foley, is revealed.
- In the Abandoned Gas Station of Solitude, Virgil removes his mask by simply pulling it to the side, even though it has a band pulled over his head.
- When Richie is carrying the two men who fell out of the crane to the roof of the building with his powers, his right hand appears and disappears between shots.
- Virgil mentions his hero is Green Lantern, at which point Phil LaMarr uses his John Stewart voice.
- The old man tells Richie that he can call him Ragtag. Interestingly, neither Richie nor Jump and Run ever refer to him by that name (or any other) in the entire episode.
|Phil LaMarr||Static/Virgil Hawkins|
|Jason Marsden||Push/Richie Foley|
|T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh||Teen Girl #1|
|Lara Jill Miller||Teen Girl #2|
|Jean Smart||Maggie Foley|
Virgil: I guess we'll have to settle this man to man.
| Previously produced episode:|
"Attack of the Living Brain Puppets"
| Episodes of|
| Next produced episode:|
| Previously aired episode:|
"The Big Leagues"
| Next aired episode:|